Featured

Injured by chiropractor at The Joint

The Joint Chiropractic - Injured by chiropractor at The Joint
Explore video interviews
Advertisements

Do not go to this place! I was a new client who came in and was told I would need 7 visits.

On the 5th visit I was adjusted improperly with too much force by Dr. Micheal Johnsey, of who I informed of my injury several times before leaving that initial visit. I was told that those injuries sometimes happen and to take Ibuprofen and that I would be better in a few days. Needless to say, my ribs were sticking out on my left side and my right collar bone was perturbing as a result of the injury.

He did not check me to verify my injury. The next day I went back and was checked by a different Dr, in which I was then instructed to go to the ER because I was advised my ribs were fractured Fast forward after repeated X-rays they were not fractured but badly bruised, swollen tissue around the lungs, chest area do to the pulling of the ribs. So basically while being adjusted laying on my right side, my ribs went up into my skin and were moved do to the force by the Dr. during the adjustment.

This has been a long and painful recovery. I called their office and received no call back. No one from their office, nor their headquarters or the doctor. Himself has tried to reach out to see if I was okay nor offer an apology.

This was a first and last experience for me. I am now going into 5-6 weeks recovering, my ribs are still slightly out and Ive lost weight over the stress of it all. My daily function of life has been limited. No lifting of anything heavy, couldnt bend, had to get assistance with showering and using the bathroom.

Unable to sleep properly, only on my back for weeks now. As the swelling continues to go down and my ribs heal, my collarbone has gone back into alignment. Im still waiting for ribs to go back to normal. Not to mention the hospital and doctor bills.

I would not recommend this company nor Dr. to anyone. I did not want to believe this was malice but it all boils down to quality of care. I was clearly shown they did not care.

Please do your research before considering going to any chiropractor for treatment/services. I found out my ribs have been broken the entire time after getting imaging from a professional Sports Medicine Doctor who works for the Houston Texans. Also my posture, head, shoulder, chest, hips and knees are not out of alignment thanks to Micheal Johnsey. The Joint is denying any liability.

You have been warned. Do not go here!

Loss:

Preferred solution: I would like A formal apology and accountability from both the chiropractor and the owners by acknowledging the injuries caused and the medical expenses occurred pertaining to the injury.

User's recommendation: Don’t go here. Do your research.

Sarmite R

| map-marker Greenville, South Carolina

Unauthorized charges for 2 years!!

Joint Chiropractors

My daughter had a sports related neck injury and was treated at JC on Woodruff Rd, Greenville for three weeks in 2022. The Chiropractors were great no issues, she started to feel better two weeks after the injury and thats when we canceled our membership.

Two years later I discovered I was charged from my Health Savings account every month for 2 years ($1,200 total) without realizing it.

When I called them they just said too bad, and if I didnt have my printed cancelation proof saved somewhere, they dont see it on her account so they have been charging the whole time even though we only used them for a few weeks.

Who saves their cancellation contract? Be super careful with them and double check, in my opinion its a very unfair and unprofessional business practice that doesnt provide electronic proof of cancellation and will charge you forever and you wont have a way to prove your cancellation if you dont save that piece of paper.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Chiropractors were helpful
Cons:
  • Cancelation is difficult and you have to make sure they do cancel

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Save your contract!

Paul M Ijw

| map-marker Henderson, Nevada

Poor service

I would like to share with you the rude experience I had one of your locations. I called your location on Sunset in Henderson Nevada.

During the call no one said anything about what you can and cant treat. I was told to come in about noon. So I went to this location with my son and my wife. My son was the one who was there to be seen for using your $29 consult and adjustment.

Upon arrival I checked in with the lady at the front desk. I told her my son was the one being seen. She asked what his issue was. I told her he is having some back pain from a car accident.

She said oh i wish i told you that on the phone. Its ILLEGAL for us to treat any one with an injury She said I think its on our web site also. I told her I looked and its not on there. She said yeah it illegal for us to treat him.

I has what law they where breaking by treating him. She could not answer it. She said our sister clinic can treat him if you would like. I asked is that the same clinic with a $500 retainer.

She stood quiet and said sorry.

My son was already seen by a medical doctor in the ER at a local hospital. The ER doctor is the one that suggested seeing a chiropractor to help with the pain.

All im trying to do is get him some relief with out using pain meds. I would be going through auto insurance but the person that hit the car my son was in is self insured and the claims adjuster wants final bills before they pay for anything.

If you cant treat auto accidents you need to list it on your web site.

I will also be filing a complaint with the local health district, the Better Business Bureau as well as reviews on Google and Yelp.

Cons:
  • Crooks

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Look for another place

Guest

If the other driver was at fault, I would involve your insurance just to keep them honest. The self insured person cannot dictate that you must give them final bills.

Are both your son and the other driver Nevada residents? As far as the chiropractor, I have not found anything online preventing treatment.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2425953

I forgot to add. I’m assuming the other car was being used for business. Someone being self-insured has to have a minimum of ten cars registered under the same person.

View more comments (1)
Richard A Hzc

| map-marker Knoxville, Tennessee

Medicare patients beware

Original review Jan 08, 2024

The Joint does not accept insurance or Medicare. So if a Medicare patient comes in they are told they need treatment 2-3x/week and it is maintenance care which Medicare does not reimburse.

They give the patient an ABN form to sign so that the patient knows Medicare will not reimburse the patient. That's fraud and violates Medicare regulations. Treatment 2-3x/week is acute care which Medicare pays. I worked at a Joint for 18 months and was let go because I referred some patients out for x-rays, MRI, etc and acute Medicare patients to approved Medicare providers.

The chiropractors are rushed, do not do a thorough exam and are pushed to sign up patients for the monthly plans. Patients sign up come in for a few weeks and then stop but their credit card is charged each month. Worse if a patient quits the program the Joint keeps their credit card info. For quality chiropractic care see someone with extensive experience.

I've been practicing for more than 38 years privately and as an associate.

The chiropractic franchises many owned by non- chiropractors are killing the profession. No matter where you go ask if they are a franchise if so leave!

User's recommendation: Go somewhere other than a chiropractic franchise!

map-marker Columbus, Ohio

Terrible service

Called 2 times to ensure they can help with a L4 disc buldge. I arrived they took me back.

1st impression was not good. Anyways this woman pushed on my lower back 2 times really hard and cracked my neck then said well I'll have to refer you to my brother who's a chiropractor we don't deal with disc buldges. They had me sign for 7 visits and charged me. I called them 4 hours later because I was on more pain and got no call back.

Called again Monday and still no call back. Terrible place.

I went to another real chiropractor had 3 real adjustments and already feeling better. This place is terrible in Dearborn Heights Michigan

User's recommendation: Stay away. Do not give them your credit card

Jackie S S

Verified Reviewer

I need a real person tu answer

The Joint Chiropractic - I need a real person tu answer
The Joint Chiropractic - I need a real person tu answer - Image 2
Last month they charge twice. I call and didnt get my money back. This month I got charge 3 times (one of the charges is all ready being disputed by the credit card company.
Loss:
Pros:
  • If the chiropractor is good is excellent
Cons:
  • Do not follow up on the treatment

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Be careful with your credit card

James S Nnp

Messed me up

The doctor rushed thru the appointment because that's the business model. They are absolute trash. Made me feel 10x worse and then forced me to purchase a plan that reoccurs like a gym membership
Loss:
Cons:
  • Rushed appointment made pain worse

Preferred solution: Them shut down for horrible practices that make patients worse.

map-marker Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Medical issues now

I had a history of herniated disc in neck and advised this before the adjustment and also advised I have post concussion and suffer from very bad migraines along with occipital nerve issues. One adjustment landed me in thr emergency room with stoke like symptoms and 3 weeks after I still have major neck and head pain trying to figure out what happened to me. Multiple doctors and stil no answers
Farah O

| map-marker Houston, Texas

Rude doctors

I went to get adjusted. Next day I was having pain but waited 1 more day as doctor says that I may be sore for few days.

But it kept increasing so 3rd day I decided to go and ask then why I am hurting more now?

I went to the front desk and told the girl that I am not here to get adjusted, I am here to find out that why my pain is increasing after the adjustment?

Inside, there was a female African American doctor who asked me to lay down. I thought she is going to check where my pain is and why it's hurting more?

She used a little trigger thing on my back and said you will be fine.

In 2 minutes I was out.

Doctor came out that I should charged now, that was shocking.

I said I told you that I did get adjustment the other day but why it's increasing?

She started mocking that I asked you to lay down and you said, "yes doctor", "yes doctor" and with a big smile she made that how happily like this you followed her.

Her way of talking to me was like a fighter woman would fight with moving her head left to right. It wasn't at all like a doctor would talk.

I believe her name wasyes doctor George ( if I am not wrong).

Joe D Ion

| map-marker Mentor, Ohio

Alert others of scam

This is a business that cares very little about providing healthcare services. Their only concern is their business model, contracts and tricking consumers into services they dont need.

I went in for a treatment in January. They talked me into 2 months of treatments. I was in pain and vulnerable and they took advantage. I was fine after 1 treatment and never went back, and knew I was out the 2- month service I agreed to.

The fine print in their contract put me on auto renewal and charged me for a 3rd month. They gave me a very hard time about cancelling.

Said I had to go there in person to sign the paperwork which is BS. I paid $240 for 1 single treatment.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Are con artists

User's recommendation: Steer clear. Find a reputable chiropractor or doctor.

Richard N Hrw

Verified Buyer

Satisfaction

The Joint Chiropractic - Satisfaction

Went to the location in Mayfield Heights, Ohio. Dr.

Ben did my initial assessment and exam. Very thorough. Took the time to listen to my issues and even informed me of underlying causes.

Have been back for 2 adjustments with Dr. Philip.

The first one I came in with a lot of pain due to snow shoveling and the fact that I had not been adjusted in many years. I walked out 90% pain free.

I am not new to chiropractic. For 18 years I managed the largest single office chiropractic-led multidiscplinary practice in Ohio. I know how it works.

The 2 docs have had are good! The value is good.

I was not pressured to buy any package.

The only reason my rating came up with 4 stars instead of 5 is because they don't offer any additional products or services, such as ultrasound therapy or electrical muscle stimulation. But I do understand why that is - it wouldn't work with their business model.

In all, it's a five star model, at least here in Northeast Ohio!

Pros:
  • Convenient
  • Good service
  • Excellent value
Nino G Jff

| map-marker River Edge, New Jersey

Buyer beware: Office visits don't roll over and you get charged 2 month minimum

It almost seems like one needs a lawyer to understand the agreement clauses. -Did not realize that office visits don't roll over from month to month. -get charged for 2 months automatically. -regardless of signed agreement ; i was verbally under the impression that I was going to receive 3 free visits and I was never told verbally that I would automatically be charged for two visits. When you're in a lot of pain (military service related injuries) , verbal conversations about these two key factors would have helped me make an informed decision.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Some pain relief
Cons:
  • Must read everything carefully

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Read everything. If you have a lawyer have them preview the contract.

Cindy C Jrk

| map-marker San Diego, California

Very disappointing customer service. Cancel your sessions without notice.

SThey cancelled my remaining sessions without notice and when I went back say I have to buy more. Be very careful, as people say they will take your money and not provide service. Impossible to keep track of packages because you cant login to see what is remaining.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Easy hours
  • Walk in service
Cons:
  • Cancel packages
  • Poor customer service

Preferred solution: Package sessions that we have purchased.

User's recommendation: Stay away! Buyer beware!

Terry Y Eun

Verified Reviewer

Public needs to be aware.

High pressure sales for a long term wellness contract, a different chiropractor at every visit, rushed in and out visits, and now an extreme hassle to get out of a contract I never signed.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Reasonably priced
  • Convenient
Cons:
  • Different chiropractor every visit
  • High pressure to sign lengthy contracts

User's recommendation: Go somewhere else.

Hospitals, Clinics and Medical Centers Expert Talks

4th COVID Vaccine, Monkeypox, Mask-Optional Policy

Jan 6, 2022

Who may need the 4th vaccine? Is monkeypox dangerous? Prof. Karen Jubanyik comments on the mask-optional policy, COVID booster shot, and the monkeypox.

Prof. Karen Jubanyik
Prof. Karen Jubanyik

GTHOMAS D

| map-marker Boulder, Colorado

Wish to assist in how Francis operates.

On November 21, 2022, I went to the Boulder Office near Arapahoe. The receptionist didn't smile once, and she was pretty gloomy and stared at the screen the entire time.

I also couldn't understand her voice very well, which was a bit mumbly.

The person that did the adjustment was a bit standoffish. Three times he replied, "I got it," when I was talking about a point of concern, and I found that denigrating almost kind of a shut-up position.

Then his style was heavyhanded and pushy as he jammed my back. A bit of a bad day for him.

Overall the adjustment was reasonable. I also found the upscale of the black Friday 6 adjustment package a bit discrediting to the profession.

The chiropractor mentioned that the body goes through an adjustment stage, and the muscled reposition themselves as the spine comes back into alignment.

That made total sense, but he said, " It takes about six sessions to dial in the process. Then he does the sales pitch of the benefits of purchasing a package. That, to me, loses all integrity of potential benefit for me.

My mind hears it takes six sessions; then the guy tries to sell a six-day package. I'm not too fond of that chiropractic practices.

It makes me feel like Im in the door so let's upsell them. It just causes me to feel a lack of integrity. Does it take 6 sessions, or is it a sales pitch?

What I suggest is to say to clients. Let the adjustment settle in.

If your body tells you you need more care, please feel free to come back. We are here. If you ever choose to do a regular maintenance program, we offer specials to make it affordable. Feel free to ask us about those if you are interested.

Just know Joint chiropractic is here for your well-being.

I did like the adjustment, but it was pretty heavy-handed, and the receptionist was depressing and gloomy. Never one smile.

The upsells approach slides chiropractic into the used car dealer category.

Pros:
  • Location and cost
Cons:
  • Grumpy cold staff

Preferred solution: Just adjust the approach like you adjust the back. A company can always improve they're approach. The Arapahoe office is in pretty terrible condition.

User's recommendation: No actually I wouldnt

Guest

What did the underpaid, disinterested, overworked receptionist have to smile about ? How about if she just checks you in and gets on with her work ?

Smile just because you walked into the room ? Nonsense.

They're not going to grin like car salesmen ; they already have their fish on the hook when you walked in. Snowflake.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2279889

You nailed it. I just SMH at how people think they need a red carpet rolled out for them. He must be a very feminine man.

View more comments (1)
Terah Apw
map-marker Las Vegas, Nevada

Cheap chiropractic adjustments.

Caught the bus to get there and they were unexpectedly closed. No closed sign on the door. Called another location to find out why and was informed they were sick. Ok. So Im out of luck and stuck waiting for the bus back in the rain and wind.
Pros:
  • Cheap adjustment
Cons:
  • Cheap adjustment

Preferred solution: I don’t expect anything.

User's recommendation: It’s ok if you’re on a budget. It’s an in and out.

Yasmine M Qzk

| map-marker Springfield, Missouri

Complaint

I called before I went to the Springfield location and was told I could use my medical insurance or I can pay out of pocket up on arriving the lady asked for my ID and told me to have a seat the doctor will be with me shortly afterwards she went to the back and brought a black lady out to tell me they wouldn't see me because I have Medicaid I asked for it to pay out of pocket and they denied me services I called before I went I took a 20 minute drive just to be laughed in my face and denied services that's right the lady smiled and laughed and denied me services because I have Medicaid but was willing to pay out of pocket that was no apology just simply and embarrassing laugh I felt so humiliated I wasted time and gas

Preferred solution: The company to do better with how they treat people

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article